Back to Recipe Search
A vintage recipe from our archives that is still loved today!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 20 to 25 minutes
Yield: 24 cupcakes OR 2 (9-inch) round layers
- 1 cup Karo® Light OR Dark Corn Syrup
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon grated orange rind (from 1/2 medium orange)
- 1/3 cup Mazola® Corn Oil
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Argo® Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Tone's® Ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Ground Saigon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Spice Islands® Ground Cloves
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 24 standard (2-1/2-inch) muffin cups (OR line with paper liners) OR grease 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
- Beat together corn syrup, egg, brown sugar, orange juice, orange rind and oil in large bowl. Add water and blend well.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves in separate bowl.
- Stir dry ingredients into corn syrup mixture and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Divide batter evenly in prepared pans. Bake 18 to 20 minutes for cupcakes, or 25 minutes for round layers, until lightly browned and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in pans; remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
- Note: This old-fashioned cake is reminiscent of cake doughnuts and can be topped with your favorite icing or served warm with your favorite dessert sauce.