Back to Recipe Search
Use cookie cutters to create special holiday shapes with these yummy homemade marshmallows.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cool Time: 4+ hours
Yield: 6 dozen medium marshmallows
- 1 cup room temperature water, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup Karo® Light Corn Syrup
- 2 teaspoons Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Argo® Corn Starch
- Combine 1/2 cup water, salt and gelatin in large bowl of a stand mixer. Stir and set aside.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup water, sugar and corn syrup in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Using a candy thermometer, cook until mixture reaches 240°F or soft ball stage.
- Gradually pour the hot syrup over the gelatin mixture with the mixer on low. Turn the mixer on its highest speed and beat for 8 minutes. Add vanilla and beat an additional 2 minutes. The mixing bowl will get very full. The marshmallows will become very thick, white and shiny. Spread mixture onto greased baking sheet with sides. For thicker marshmallows, use a 13 x 9-inch pan.
- Let marshmallows cool at least 4 hours or overnight. Combine powdered sugar and corn starch in a shallow pan. Cut the marshmallows into bite-size pieces with a sharp knife or scissors, dropping one at a time into the powdered sugar. Toss to coat well. Store marshmallows in an airtight container in a cool place. Best used within 1 month.
- TIP: These marshmallows make a lovely gift with homemade cocoa mix.
- Variations: Mint Marshmallows- Add a few drops of green food coloring and 1/4 teaspoon mint extract with the vanilla.
Chocolate Chip Marshmallows: Coarsely chop 8 ounces of dark chocolate and fold into marshmallows just before spreading on baking sheet to cool.
Cinnamon Marshmallows: Add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Spice Islands® Ground Saigon Cinnamon to the mixture while beating.