Back to Recipe Search
Microwave Almond Toffee
The microwave makes this candy recipe a cinch.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 23 to 27 minutes
Chill Time: 30 to 60 minutes
Yield: 8 cups, approximately
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup Karo® Light Corn Syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped almonds, toasted, divided
- 2 teaspoons Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Grease a 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan (OR an 18 x 13 x 1-inch half sheet pan for thinner toffee) and heat-resistant spatula; set aside.
- Combine sugar, water, corn syrup, salt and butter in a 3-quart microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on HIGH (100%) 5 minutes; stir. Continue to microwave 18 to 22 minutes, stirring every 7 minutes, until mixture is a golden brown caramel color (300°F on a candy thermometer). Note: Cooking time may vary depending on microwave oven.
- Carefully remove from microwave; stir in 3/4 cup almonds and vanilla. Quickly pour mixture onto prepared cookie sheet; spread evenly with spatula. Cool 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over warm toffee; let stand 5 minutes or until chocolate is melted. Spread chocolate over brittle until smooth. Top with remaining 3/4 cup almonds.
- Let cool until chocolate is set. (TIP: Place in refrigerator for a few minutes to harden chocolate before removing from pan.) Gently twist pan to release toffee from pan, then break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.